Combine classroom instruction and shop-based training to prepare for work in the Heavy Equipment Technician trade.
Receive all the training you need to work towards your Red Seal Endorsement (RSE) as Heavy Equipment Technician (Off-Road).
The objective of the Heavy Equipment Technician Pre-Apprenticeship program is to provide students with:
- Theoretical trade knowledge which, together with hands-on shop experience, will enable students to go on to train for employment as capable and knowledgeable first year apprentices.
- Further acquisition of safety skills and awareness.
- The ability to apply mathematical concepts to the heavy equipment field.
- This program is a prerequisite for the Heavy Equipment Technician diploma program.
At the end of the program, students will have:
- Acquired competencies in job safety skills and awareness of workplace hazards.
- Acquired practical hands-on experience with a variety of stationary and portable power tools.
- Acquired skills and knowledge to advance in the work force in the heavy equipment field.
- Demonstrated the ability to apply mathematical concepts to the heavy equipment field.
- Completed the theoretical requirements for Level I Heavy Equipment Technician Apprenticeship program, and have the opportunity to challenge the Heavy Equipment Technician Apprenticeship Level I exams.
- Math 11 or equivalent AND English 11 or equivalent
- Mature student status with acceptable scores on the College Placement Assessment or GED
- Pass level A Trades Entrance exam
- good physical condition
- good hand-eye coordination
- suitable work clothes and appropriate safety footwear
In order to graduate, students must successfully complete all courses in the program and maintain an overall "C" average (70%).
Graduates of the program will receive a Yukon College Certificate.
Students may also be offered technical credit towards a Yukon apprenticeship and the opportunity to challenge the Heavy Equipment Technician Level II and III exams.
Yukon College recognizes that a greater understanding and awareness of Yukon First Nations history, culture and journey towards self-determination will help to build positive relationships among all Yukon citizens. As a result, you will be required to achieve core competency in knowledge of Yukon First Nations.
For details, visit Yukon First Nations Core Competency.
- Estimated program costs for 18-week pre-apprenticeship:
- $2,500 tuition
- $200 text books
For more information, contact the Program Advisor.
Yukon College Student Financial Awards
Education is an investment in your future, your family and your community. Yukon College is pleased to support that investment by offering some of the most competitive tuition rates in the country, as well as several Student Financial Awards to help offset your educational and living costs.
There are government programs, scholarships, bursaries, awards and First Nation funding available to financially support you throughout your academic career.