WO CE61 - Soft Skills in the Water and Wastewater Context 1 - People
This 5 day course will provide participants with an introductory working knowledge of the fundamentals involved in becoming a project manager. The phases and steps, intricacies and organizational skills needed to successfully lead a project from concept to completion will be discussed. This course will also provide tools and techniques that help students work step-by-step through workplace problems and scenarios.
This course is especially recommended for water & wastewater operators who:
- were recently promoted to a supervisory or management role, or are interested in advancing to a supervisory or management role in the future, or
- are interested in brushing up their project management skills and taking them to the next level, or
- want to earn CEU credits that can be applied to water or wastewater systems continuing education requirements.
This course is also relevant to health professionals, technicians or any other water sector workers and front line supervisors, or homeowners involved and/or interested in water and health & safety.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand alternative problem solving strategies, and how to apply these appropriately in a supervisory or management role;
- Assess your leadership style, learn about alternative leadership approaches, and understand and apply essential management skills including time management, conflict resolution, coaching, and the role of leaders;
- Conduct effective meetings and understand how to set the agenda, manage conflict, build agreement and make decisions;
- Understand how to effectively manage communications to peers, direct reports and senior managers;
- Understand business systems such as asset management, information management and privacy protection;
- Understand Employment Standards Act concepts, collective agreements, and how to manage in a unionized work environment; and
- Effectively supervise staff, and complete performance evaluations.
This course is approved for 3.0 related CEUs for SWWS, SWS, WWC, WWT, WD, and WT EOCP certifications.
Provider: BC Water and Waste Association (BCWWA)