Yukon College Haines Junction

History

Haines Junction began as a highway camp in 1942.  When the Haines Road was completed the following year, the community of Haines Junction was born. 

In 1986, a “mobile” campus was established to serve Haines Junction and Burwash Landing.  One day every week the college instructor/coordinator would go on-the-road to Burwash Landing to deliver training needs. 

In 1988, due to heavy demand, programs and services were centralized in the James Smith Government Administration Building in Haines Junction. 

Today, the two part-time instructor/coordinators maintain training partnerships with Champagne and Aishihik First Nations, Kluane First Nation, White River First Nation and serve the four communities of Haines Junction, Destruction Bay, Burwash Landing and Beaver Creek.


Amenities

  • Distance learning courses
  • Community computer/internet access
  • Hosting community dinner and lunch meetings

Distance & Online Learning

A wide variety of adult upgrading, video-conference, and online courses are available to students at the campus, allowing students to pursue full-time or part-time Yukon College programs.


Ondemand Programs & Courses

The campus offers a wide variety of programming and delivers approximately 45 courses every year.

  • FoodSafe
  • Standard and Wilderness First Aid
  • Trades Safety
  • Computers
  • Fine Arts, Music, Dance
  • Fitness, Gardening
  • Business
  • Southern Tutchone language
  • Trades Apprenticeship
  • Math
  • Science
  • Journeyman Red Seal Carpentry
  • Natural and Cultural Interpretation
  • Essential Skills and Skills for Employment
  • College Prep courses