Moodle is Yukon College's Learning Management System (LMS). An LMS allows teachers to create a private space online (a course) and add resources and activities to enhance learning opportunities.
View a Moodle course template here.
Moodle Community Resources:
- Moodle Docs main page (Always make sure you are looking at the correct document version. As of January 2020, Yukon College is using Moodle version 3.7)
If you'd like any help with setting up your Moodle course page (or would like assistance with any of the features in Moodle) please reach out to the Teaching and Learning Team.
Panopto is used for recording (screen capture), basic editing and video management.
Learn how to download and install the Panopto application to use for recording videos in your class. (Note: You will likely have to contact the IT help desk for help installing on a college computer.)
Advantages of Recording lectures in Panopto:
- Save time: Recordings can progressively upload to our Panopto channel, which can easily be added to your Moodle course page using the green Panopto button.
- If you record with "capture PowerPoint" all content from your slides will be indexed and searchable by students from the online Panopto viewer.
- You can make the videos available to your students to download if you want.
- Videos are more private than Youtube
January 2020: We are using Panopto version: 7.2
Access Panopto Video Tutorials
If you'd like help with Panopto, please feel free to reach out to the Teaching and Learning Team.
Used by all students and staff. Please see topic to right called "Office 365".
In recent years the distinction between "video conferencing" and "web conferencing" has blurred. Both refer to collaborative technologies that manage synchronous audio, video and content sharing, however the terms are often used inconsistently to refer to slightly different types of conferencing.
At Yukon College, both terms refer to synchronous (online) teaching, typically facilitated from our specially equipped classrooms. Zoom conferencing can also be used in asynchronous classes to host a tutorial or connect students for group work.
In Some courses, students are expected to connect at specific, regular class times via video Zoom. Often, students will connect together from a community but the option to attend from home is also available.
Teaching in this context demands a high-degree of focus and ability to multi-task. Seasoned instructors have contributed to the following Top-10 Tips for Teaching from a Multi-site, Video Conferencing Classroom.
Zoom is the video conferencing software used at the college. The software offers robust functionality to support a variety of teaching & learning activities.
Every instructor scheduled to teach a synchronous-online course will be assigned a Zoom license for the duration of their class.
Where can I get more information about Zoom?
Jump-start learning Zoom:
Consider reviewing Zoom's Video Tutorials
You can also register for live training sessions here
Only people who host meetings/classes require a license. Anyone who is invited to a meeting (up to 100 participants) will be able to join without a Zoom license. Zoom accounts must be assigned to an individual email account. (Sorry, no group emails or "shared" accounts.) In your request, please include the following details:
1. What Yukon College email should the license be assigned to?
2. What do you expect to use the license for? (ex: teaching a distance class)
Submit new license requests to the Help Desk.
Yukon College Support:
- Training, coaching and workshop opportunities for instructors.
- See the Teaching Learning Events calendar on MyYC
- Email: email@example.com
IT Help Desk: Get help:
- Installing updates, plugins or new software
- With missing or unresponsive classroom equipment
- With audio/video problems
Padlet is an online virtual “bulletin” board, where students and teachers can collaborate, reflect, share links and pictures, in a secure location. Padlet allows users to create a hidden wall with a custom URL. Padlet creators can also moderate posts, remove posts, and manage their board 24/7. Padlet is free and easy to use!
For a quick introduction to Padlet, check out this Tutorial