Cold Climate Innovation in partnership with the Yukon Government, Department of Economic Development will be hosting their 5th Yukon Innovation Prize to encourage the local development and delivery of innovative products and services.
The goal is to grow and diversify Yukon’s economy and promote local applications of sustainable activities. This competition is open to any idea that improves sustainability through increasing efficiency or decreasing environmental impact. Clean tech can include a broad range of processes, products, services, and businesses that relate to recycling, renewable energy (wind power, solar power, biomass, hydropower, biofuels, etc.), information technology, green transportation, electric motors, green chemistry, lighting, Greywater, and more.
April 3, 2019: Yukon Innovation Prize finalists selected
Who can apply
Any Yukon-based resident, organization, or business is eligible to submit an application form.
$100,000 to be awarded.
Up to four finalists will be chosen from the eligible submissions. These finalists will be given $10,000 to develop their ideas further and compete for the grand prize that showcases more evidence of their innovative product or service and business value. The refined proposals will be evaluated, and a single winner will be given $60,000 towards bringing their social innovation to commercialization.
Submissions close 23:59 PST on March 10th, 2019.
There will be an information session held on February 13, 2019 from 5:00-6:00pm PST at Northlight Innovation Hub (2180 2nd Ave.) in Classroom 1. If you cannot attend in person, please join us through conference call via https://zoom.us/j/141797480. This session is open to anyone that would like additional information on the contest and submission process.
- 2019-02-04: Submissions opened
- 2019-03-10: Submission date closed
- 2019-03-25: Four finalists for the $10,000 have been selected
- 2019-06-02: Four finalists submit their final proposals
- 2019-06-28: Grand prize presentations and selection
- 2019-06-28: Grand prize winner announced
- The contest is open to both individual entrants, organizations, and businesses
- Applicants must be residents of Yukon
- Organizations and businesses must have a valid Yukon business license and a permanent business office in Yukon
- An individual or organization can submit more than one entry, but each individual or organization will be eligible for only one prize
- Individuals or organizations who are part of an entry (e.g. with another individual or organization) may not submit an entry separately - put another way for clarity, an individual or organization can only submit entries under a single name or group
- Entries received between 09:00 on February 4th, 2019 and 23:59 PST on March 10th, 2019 will be eligible for consideration
- Entries are to be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants should answer all questions in the application form as completely as possible
- Download the YIP application form here which has been put together for you to use your submission.
Please see the 2019 Yukon Innovation Prize Rules for full criteria details.
The Judging Panel will review each submission to determine:
- if the submission solves a problem that improves sustainability through increasing efficiency or decreasing environmental impact, and/or
- if there is a market need and/or the submission is commercially viable, and
- if the submission is innovative, and
- if the submission demonstrates business planning fundamentals
Read all about our past Yukon Innovation Prize Winners here.