This three-year project tested whether Biochar, which is charcoal produced by burning organic matter, could enhance Yukon soils over time.
Cold Climate Innovation co-funded the project with the federal Department of Agriculture. The test plots were located at the research farm run by the Yukon Agricultural branch on the South Klondike Highway. Energy Mines and Resources and the Yukon Agricultural Association provided materials and advice and the University of Alaska Fairbanks analyzed the soil samples.
Test results were inconclusive and we suspect the biochar may be breaking down.
- Project lead, Warren Zakus, Zakus Farms
- Technology Innovation Officer, Yukon Research Centre
- Zakus Farms
- University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- Department of Energy Mines and Resources, Government of Yukon
- Yukon Agricultural Association
- Cold Climate Innovation, Yukon Research Centre, Yukon College
- Department of Agriculture, Government of Canada