The Teaching and Learning team offers a range of supports for Yukon College instructors, including workshops and informal one-on-one support with
- developing and redesigning courses,
- building instructional skills for face-to-face and distance delivery classes,
- and selecting and adopting useful educational technologies.
A calendar with all of our in-house sessions is available on the ITLC MyYC page.
If you have questions about which session is best suited to your needs, if you’d like one-on-one support, or if you have a group of instructors who would like us to offer a specific session, please connect with us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Below are descriptions of our offerings.
Check our calendar for upcoming sessions or connect with us to schedule a workshop for your group.
New Instructor Teaching Orientation
This one-day course is designed support new instructors and, as a group, share some ideas that can help improve teaching success in the context of Yukon College learning environments.
Specifically, it addresses the following questions:
- Who are you, and how does this impact your teaching?
- Who are your students and what will engage them?
- What does effective teaching and learning at Yukon College look like?
- What supports, strategies and tools are available to you?
Course Design Intensive
If you're planning to develop or to make significant changes to a specific course, including major changes in the overall approach, the learning outcomes, and/or the assessment strategy, we encourage you to attend the four-day Course Design Intensive. In this collaborative, four-day session you will:
- Develop or revise your learning outcomes, engage in content mapping, and align learning activities and assessments
- Consult with representatives from FNI and the LAC to discuss indigenization and accessibility
- Explore delivery modes and teaching strategies
EdTech Drop-In Support
In these scheduled sessions, instructors are invited to join the Ed Tech Trainer and members of the Teaching and Learning Team for drop-in help.
These sessions are an opportunity to bring specific questions to the Teaching and Learning team, or simply work alongside us.
Possible topics include:
- Welcoming students in Moodle
- Importing content from previous Moodle courses
- Re-organizing or re-configuring Moodle gradebook
- Using video conferencing tools
Spend a day with your teaching colleagues reflecting, discussing, and rethinking your teaching practices. The Tune-Up is an opportunity to explore the following questions:
- What will engage your students?
- How do you pursue/maintain wellness while balancing the demands of teaching?
- How do you know if your teaching is working?
Teaching & Learning Chats
Bi-weekly (beginning October 2018)
The Teaching & Learning team will host a conversational space on various teaching and learning topics. Conversation topics will be shaped by interests of participants. Drop by and see us or visit our topics form to suggest a topic that is of interest to you!