Safety and Security
Security on Campus – a prime contact for security-related incidents
Security Personnel are on campus year round:
Monday to Sunday – 24 hours a day
Security Office: 668-8722
Pager: 9-668-PAGE (7243) pager 676
An Incident Report must be completed after each incident.
(Incident Report forms are available from your Department Administrative Officer/Dean’s Office)
Ayamdigut Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday 7:00 am to 11:00 pm
Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
December 25 – January 1 (inclusive) CLOSED (limited access for staff)
First Aid Emergencies
There are sheets posted throughout the Campus entitled “EMERGENCY”.
These have instructions on what to do in an emergency situation:
1. Phone 9-911
2. If a person is injured (and after 911 has been contacted) call the in-house first aid attendant: 9-668-PAGE (7243) pager 675 Hours: Monday to Friday – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
In the event of a fire alarm or evacuation order, vacate the building immediately, using the nearest exit, following instructions provided by the Campus Fire Wardens, if present. They are identified by an orange hat. Do not re-enter the building until your Fire Warden or Emergency Responder advises you to do so.
Evacuate the building by pulling the nearest fire alarm.
Exit maps are posted in each classroom and gathering area. Become familiar with these to determine your exit route.
There are pay phones located throughout the campus - become familiar with their locations.
There are no charges for a 911 call from a pay phone.
There is a phone available for use in the Main Singles Residence
The fire alarm is indicated by a series of 3 buzzes. You may want to turn down your speakers to listen to them below.
Suspicious Behaviour – Who to Contact?
In addition to contacting any emergency personnel (police, ambulance, etc.) please report any suspicious or threatening situation to your Dean, Director or Security and be prepared to provide a description of any person(s) involved.
Check the Safety Mirrors
Safety mirrors are installed so that you can see around blind corners. Please use them for your personal safety.
Locked out of the Building?
If you find yourself locked out of the building, contact Security. There is a regular phone available for use in the hallway between the family and single residences. You can access the hallway from either the staff parking lot or from the detached residence side.
Needles on Campus
If you find a used needle, do not touch it. Contact Custodian or Security immediately.
Need an Escort to your Car?
Contact Security at 9-668-PAGE (7243) pager 676
or the Custodian at 9-668-PAGE (7243) pager 510
Custodian on Campus
There is a Custodian on campus 24 hours a day.
9-668-PAGE (7243) pager 510
Lost and Found
The Lost and Found is located at the Security Office.
Yukon College has taken a number of steps to promote a safer and more secure environment. However, no program can ensure a perfectly safe locale.
Ultimately we are all responsible for our own personal safety and we should keep the following in mind:
• Know your exits in advance.
• Know who else is in your general area.
• Know who to call/contact in an emergency (see “Emergency” sheets).
• Project an assertive image.
• Do not prop open locked doors.
• Keep your interaction with strangers to a minimum.
• Have your keys (car or dorm) ready so you are not delayed getting into your car or residence.
• If you believe you are being followed, go immediately to a public place and call emergency personnel.
• Avoid isolated areas.
• Ensure someone knows your whereabouts and when you expect to return.
• Escorts to the parking lot are available from the Custodian or Security Personnel.
• If you believe you are in a dangerous situation:
• Attempt to diffuse the situation (remain calm, speak clearly in an even tone);
• Make all attempts to leave the area;
• Activate any alarms at your disposal (including a personal ‘screamer’ device), yell, scream, make noise; and,
• Prepare to defend yourself with whatever might be available.