Using the Computers
This section covers some procedures on using the computers at Yukon College.
The topics are:
- Finding the programs you want to run
- Shutting down the computer
- Displaying and understanding your Personal Storage Space
Where is the Word Processor, Internet, E-mail, Instant Messaging, etc?
All the programs that are available to you at Yukon College are accessible via the Start Button. To display the programs click on the Start Button and then move the mouse to the All Programs line. A half of a second later, another menu will appear, move the mouse up and down this menu to see other sub menus and programs. Once you find the program you want to run, click once on the program name in the menus. Don't be afraid to try out other programs. If you get stuck, just click on the top right corner to close the program. You cannot damage the programs by running them.
Shutting Down the Computer Properly
If you fail to do so, you risk locking your computer account or losing your data. To unlock the account or try to recover your data you must visit Student Computer Support.
All computers use the following shut-down procedure:
- Close all the programs you have opened and are using. The quickest way is to press all the Close buttons that you can see on the screen.
- If you have a CD or DVD in the drive, remove it now.
- If you have a USB flash drive attached, use the Safely Remove Hardware function, then remove it.
- Click on the Start button at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Click on the Shut Down button.
- The computer will automatically log off your account and power down.